Although the effective commencement date of compliance with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI) is not clear yet, the Act has been signed by the president. Word is that the Act is going to come into effect by 24 May 2017 and that the Information Regulator will begin enforcing the Act by the end of 2017.
Acker Wehmeyer assists business owners in taking away the stresss of having to stay ahead with the latest legislation like the Consumer Protection Act (CPA) and POPI.
Businesses found guilty of non-compliance with the CPA can face fines of up to R1 million or 10% of your annual turnover & where a “responsible person” has committed an offence in terms of the POPI Act, the Information Regulator may issue the owner with an administrative fine of up to R10 million or imprisonment not exceeding 10 years.
It is trite that ignorance of the law is no excuse and therefore we invite all business owners to make use of our special offer mentioned below.
POPI designates the head of the business as the Information Officer and therefore as owner it is important to find out the meaning of phrases like:
- how to determine the purpose of processing personal information in a lawful manner
- what is understood as falling under the meaning of duties and tasks of an Information Officer
Sign Up for POPI Compliance Package
- Once off admin fee R1850
- Monthly retainer R750 p/m (minimum 6 month)
What You Get
- CPA audit on all your business documentation
- 2 hour training course explaing the Act's effect on your business
- A POPI Guideline Manual
- An Internal Approval Manual
- Assistance in drafting an Information Manual for your business (which is already law)
- A session on all of these documents when implemented at your premises